This joint session by the CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness (CPDE) & Task Team on CSO Development Effectiveness and Enabling Environment (Task Team) will have two separate parts. Part 1 will be putting extremes in different corners through an intellectually stimulating, but fun, “People’s Debate” on the dilemma between focusing on peaceful and inclusive societies and accountable institutions (SDG 16) or on revitalizing partnerships (SDG 17) when promoting the role of CSOs in development. The peoples’ debate will be followed by a second part in the forms of a ‘town hall’ discussion on the role that CSOs play in development partnerships, including actual experience of CSO engagement in multi-stakeholder dialogues and different cases of shrinking and closing civic space. The session will end with a Call to Action that demands reversing the trend of shrinking and closing civic space and calling on stakeholders to respect and promote inclusive development partnerships.
- Hans de Voogd, Manager of the Task Team on CSO Development Effectiveness and Enabling Environment Secretariat
- Vanessa de Oliveira, Senior Policy Officer at the Task Team on CSO Development Effectiveness and Enabling Environment
- Nicholas Miller, Legal Advisor at the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL)
- Beverly Longid, Co-Chair of the CPDE
- Richard Ssewakiryanga, Co-chair of the CPDE
Place: Room 17